"Glory for Victoria"...
...was the motto for the re-opening of the Botanical Garden 1898 at its current location by the Spalentor.
The Victoria greenhouse and its name-giver, the giant water lily was the main attraction.
In 1995 it underwent extensive reconstructions due to corrosion damage.
At the Rheinsprung
1589 Foundation by Caspar Bauhin, therefore one of the oldest Botanical Gardens in the World
At the Spalengraben
1692 Relocation to the Prediger church (today University Hospital Klinikum 2, Petersgraben 6)
1776 Werner de Lachenal, Professor for Anatomy and Botany (until 1798)
1777 Lachenal founds a new building for professors and gardeners
1795 New greenhouse and private garden
1800 Lachenal dies. K. F. Hagenbach is the successor
1837 First printed Index seminum with over 600 species
In front of the Aeschentor
1838/40 Relocation to the Aeschentor. Wooden greenhouses
1844 Glass houses for orchids and ferns
1862 Staff increase, 1 fully employed gardener
1863 new metal greenhouses; Victoria regia flowers
1870 Bust from W. de Lachenal sponsored by the Peter Merian foundation
1891 first thematic event: pumpkin exhibition
1892 small cactus exibition
At the Spalentor
1898 Relocation to the Spalentor (in former times the Spalengottesacker, cenetery, opening on 12.–14. Juli)
1949 Sabal umbraculifera reaches the roof of the tropical greenhouse and is felled
1962 new plant breeding greenhouses
1967 new tropical greenhouse
1978 Gesneriaceae exhibition
1989 400th anniversary • events & exhibitions • publications
1990 every year public events and tours
1996 reconstruction of the Victoria house, new cold house and succulent house
2011 flowering Amorphophallus titanum; 25'000 visitors
2012 flowering Amorphophallus titanum; 14'000 visitors
2019-21 new tropcial greenhouse with cloud forest greenhouse